Friday 16 December 2011

Stuart Pilcher: Survivor Story

This is an interview with my friend Stuart Pilcher. A Testicular Cancer Survivor.


How did you discover you had cancer? What kind was it? How did you feel?

Stuart: I was on a family holiday to Italy when I started to limp and I was in a huge amount of pain.  Once I flew home, I went to my doctor straight away and was diagnosed with testicular cancer, having found out that I had a tumour in my left testicle.  Finding out that you have cancer at the age of 18 was a huge shock- not just to me, but to my friends and family as well.  I don’t actually remember being told about it; so many things went through my head.  Obviously, the first thing that you think about is whether you are going to survive or not.


How did you feel when they told you the cancer had gone?

I finished my chemotherapy and was given the all clear the day after my 19th birthday- it was the best present that I could ever have had.  Being told that I was now in remission was the best feeling I’ve ever had.  I realised that I fought cancer, and that I had won my battle.


How did your parents and loved ones react to your illness?

I honestly couldn’t have got through my illness without my friends and family.  They kept me positive when i felt low, and they always picked me up when I was feeling depressed. I really do think that half of the battle is in your head, and my friends and family helped me look at the bigger picture and stay focused on what was important- getting better.


Are you more vigilant with your health and well-being now?

Although I still live life to the full, I am now a lot more aware of my body and my health.  I really appreciate life now, and I have learnt not to take my health and well-being for granted.


Did cancer change your outlook on life? How?

Having cancer made me realise that there are so many more important things in life than petty arguments.  It’s given me a much more positive outlook on life.  Having the illness has also made me a much more driven person; I know what I want from life and I am determined to achieve the success that I have worked hard for.


What are your dreams and plans for the future?

I am looking forward to finishing my degree and seeing where that takes me. As I’m only 22, I know that there is a lot in store for me in life, and I look forward to starting my career once university is over.


What do you think CRUK can/should do to help more people survive cancer?

I think that as long as CRUK keep educating people, especially younger men and women, of the effects and symptoms of cancer, then they will be building on the amazing work that they already do.  Personally, I feel that men of all ages just ‘bury their heads in the sand’, and don’t think about cancer, but had it not been for my early diagnosis, I may not be here right now.  It’s really important that men keep on top of their health and talk about the illness, so that we can prevent many more deaths from cancer.



Just over six years ago I made a friend who literally changed my life. Stuart has been a constant source of support, laughter and kindness from the moment I met him. He was even the one standing with me when I found out my yiayia had died. He is one of the kindest, funniest and most intelligent people I have ever met. We go months without seeing each other but our friendship stays as it always has been. He is my fellow Clintonite and politics lover: our politics classes were legendary (Hillary Lewinsky anyone?!)


I was standing in a Fish and Chip shop when Stuart called to tell me he had Cancer. To say I was shocked would be a huge understatement.: I was floored. He fought Cancer with great strength and courage and I am delighted that tomorrow will mark four years since he was given the all clear. Stuart now holds a very special place in my world: my only loved one to have fought cancer and kicked it's evil arse.


I'm so proud of my friend, he will be graduating uni next year with a degree in Politics and International Relations and I know he will go on to have a glittering political career, either in the UK or US.


I pray Cancer leaves him alone because a world without Stuart will be a very poorer place for me and the rest of his many many loved ones and friends.


Happy 23rd Birthday Stuart, you're a classic example of an amazing survivor.


xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment